After Applying for SNAP

A California food stamps interview will be scheduled as soon as the CalFresh petitioner turns in his or her application. CalFresh applicants wondering, “What do I need for food stamps in California?” will learn more about the program, interview process and required documents by reviewing the following sections:
•    California food stamps interview 
•    Food stamps interview material in California


California Food Stamps Interview

A California food stamps interview must be completed before any CalFresh applicant can have their household certified to receive CalFresh benefits. The interview can take place in the county office or by telephone, and may be held with the head of household, an authorized representative, or any other responsible household family member. The California food stamps interview must be conducted annually. The face-to-face part of the interview may be waived if the household is only composed of elderly or disabled members with no earned income.

After the California food stamps interview has been conducted, the CalFresh office will send the petitioner a notice. If the household does not qualify for CalFresh benefits, the notice will explain why. If the household does qualify, then the notice will explain how much CalFresh aid the household is qualified to receive and how long the applicant is eligible to receive CalFresh benefits (certification period) before having to be recertified. 

Households receiving government aid, such as CalWORKS or GA/GR, are considered categorically eligible for the CalFresh Program. The CalFresh Program accepts eligibility determinations made by other government aid programs for information such as gross and net income limits, sponsored alien information, county residency, and Social Security numbers. CalFresh households receiving California Food Assistance (CFAP) are not categorically eligible. Beneficiaries who receive SSI are not eligible for CalWORKS or CalFresh benefits, but other members of the family who are not receiving SSI may be eligible for CalWORKS or CalFresh benefits.

Food Stamps Interview Material in California

The California food stamps documents required for the interview serve to verify the information the petitioner submits on the application. If the applicant is eligible for Expedited Services, then he or she will only need to show identification, and all other information can be submitted to the County later. If the applicant is not eligible for Expedited Services, then he or she will need to provide their documents with the initial application. Expedited Services CalFresh benefits will be made available no later than the third calendar day following the date the application was filed. Applicants are automatically considered for expedited service at the time the application is filed.

For California food stamps documents, only one document from the following verification categories is required:
• Identity of applicant: Either a birth certificate, driver’s license, paycheck, voter registration card, school records, or U.S. passport.
• Social Security numbers: All household members are required to be verified for CalFresh. Proof of Social Security number application will suffice if no number yet exists.
• Immigration status: All documents and forms must be verified through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlement (SAVE). Verification of immigration status shall only be required from noncitizen household members who are applying for CalFresh benefits. The I-688 is not an acceptable verification document. The I-94 is an acceptable document depending what type of information is provided on the form and if USCIS approves of such information.
• Residence: Either a driver’s license, check stub, rent or mortgage receipt, or utility bill.
• Earned income: Either dated pay stubs for the last 30 days, a statement from the employer, or a copy of last year’s tax return.
• Other income: Either a current benefit check, copies of child support checks, alimony checks, award letters, or a statement from the college financial aid office.
• Resources (this will only apply to Expedited Services eligibility determination): Either bank statements showing savings and checking accounts, mortgage statements, life insurance policies, credit union accounts, retirement accounts, dividends, statements of stocks/bonds, or certificates of deposit (CDs).
• Housing and other bills: Either mortgage or rent receipts, lease or statement from the landlord, a property tax statement, or utility bills such as heat, electricity, water, sewage, garbage, telephone, etc.
• Medical bills (only needed for household members who are age 60 years or older or permanently disabled): Either billing statements or itemized receipts.
• Child Care: A child care receipt which includes amount, date paid, name(s) or person(s) care was provided for, and signature of provider and date.